Thursday, November 9, 2017

Randazza: Even Trump has a right to free speech

Randazza: Even Trump has a right to free speech

By Marc Randazza

When then-presidential candidate Trump uttered the words, “Get’em out of here,” at one of his rallies, Trump’s supporters assaulted three anti-Trump protestors. The protestors now want to hold Trump liable for the assault, based on his speech alone.

While I do not approve of Trump’s words, I am honor-bound to defend his right to free speech, as I have oft repeated the famous Voltaire misquote: "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It." I am disturbed that many people, including fellow free speech advocates, are willing to turn their back on this principle in this case. In my opinion, people are blinded by their negative views of Trump, so refuse to think critically on this issue, a problem I call Trump Derangement Syndrome (“TDS”).

The Sixth Circuit is now reviewing whether Trump’s words are actionable, and if these claims survive, it will chill free speech. I discuss this development in the case in my latest CNN column, which hopefully will be an immunity booster for any readers here suffering from TDS. See Even Trump has a right to free speech.

Copyright 2017 by the named Popehat author. https://www.popehat.com/2017/11/09/randazza-even-trump-has-a-right-to-free-speech/

No comments:

Post a Comment